Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Just for tonight, only.

12:18am.

I want to get to know you better. If you raised your eyes from the glowing sidewalk, and if your gaze didn't drift back toward the sight of the house in flames, and if you'd have turned and looked behind you, across the street instead, seeing me, I would have looked into your eyes without blinking, until the heat from the blaze started to hurt me.

I just want to get to know you better. Someone pulled you away from the overhanging garage as it caught, lighting up the darkness under the awning through the holes worn through it with rust and bad weather. You started to back away as the flames worsened. In your heels, and that smart little dress.

I stared at you, almost even through you. Your whole body was on fire, with the lightness that only angels have in them.

I watched your house crumble, wood exploding and popping, and you cringed and cried. Everyone across the street was crying. I just wanted you to turn around and see me. I wanted you to see through me the way I saw through you. My eyes were burning almost as badly as your house was.

Thank you,
JARET.



No comments: